Hobbies in UPSC Interviews are an important part of one’s life. Those are the things that you practice in your leisure time. Thus, for switching off from work, it is very important to engage yourself in fruitful hobbies. Hobbies may be of different categories like sports, cooking, photography and gardening.
Therefore, you need to engage in all kinds of co-curricular activities for questions to be asked in UPSC interviews about the kind of hobbies you practice. Thus for extending hobbies and understanding the necessary principles of hobbies it is important to appear in UPSC Interviews. Following are some basic questions asked in UPSC interviews regarding hobbies-
What is the importance of Hobby?
The job of a UPSC Officer or Civil Service Officer is very strenuous. It involves a lot of work. Huge deadlines are to be met. This is a job where a large amount of data monitoring is required. Therefore the concentration of the highest level is necessary.
Therefore, you need to have a focus on your job surroundings to succeed. In such situations taking some time to relax and sit back is very important. During such times, what you do and engage yourself in is called a hobby.
How do hobbies help in improving Productivity?
It is a productive activity which you undertake when you get some free time. A hobby may be a passion or a practice that you want to undertake not as a career option but as a point of interest in your life.
For example- someone’s hobby may be to read books while another person’s hobby may be to listen to music. Hobbies are a very relative term and they differ from one person to another. However all human beings must possess a hobby.
If your hobbies include the following criteria, then a basic set of questions are set for each category of hobbies. Following are some important hobbies and the questions associated with the hobbies that are asked in UPSC Interviews-
- What do you like to cook?
- What is important – taste or presentation or nutrition?
- Tell us something about the specialty cuisine of your region/state.
- How will cooking help you in administration/life?
- Can you prescribe me a balanced diet?
- Can you tell us about the latest technology in the food industry?
- What are the different methods of cooking?
- Why are western food and Chinese food so popular in India? But Indian food is not becoming so popular in western countries, why? (This question was asked)
- What kind of photography are you interested in? (wildlife, portraits, city life, etc.)
- Name a few famous photographers from India.
- What are the different types of cameras?
- What is your favorite style?
- Who is your favorite singer?
- Is classical music declining?
- What do you think is the main difference between Hindustani and Carnatic classical music?
- Is Bollywood music overwhelming every other form of music in India today?
- Tell us something about music therapy and the Evolution of music.
- What is the state of folk music in India today?
Reading and Writing-
- What do you write? (poetry, prose, etc.) In which language do you write?
- What do you like to read mostly?
- Who is your favorite author? Why?
- Which is your favorite book?
- Tell us something about the ancient poets through the ages in India. (ancient, medieval, etc.)
- Can you talk about the role of poets in the Indian freedom struggle?
- Which Western Dance Forms do you like?
- Can you name the type of western dance forms?
- Within hip hop and contemporary are there any more types?
- Indian dancers seem to be making a mark on western platforms in western-style itself. How did that happen?
- Can you name the dance-based movies that have come up in recent times?
- What do you know about Disco dancing?
- Why is it that today’s youth prefers western dance forms over Indian Classical dance forms?
- How will your interest/experience in dancing help you in administration?
- What are some important texts on dancing in Indian history?
- Which is your favorite Indian dance form in both folk and classical forms? Why?
- How do we differentiate between Bharatanatyam, Kuchipudi and Odissi?
- Name some famous dancers of India? What is their contribution?
- Name any famous Kuchipudi dancers?
- What are the dances of Telangana? Name any famous folk dancers from there.
- Which organizations in India are working to spread dancing? Both Indian and western forms.
- What do you mean by Sahaj Marg? What is ‘Sahaj about it?
- Why do we have International Yoga Day on June 21?
- How has meditation changed you? How does it help in administration or public service?
- What are the others schools of meditation? Why did you go to this particular school?
- What do you know about the Art of Living Foundation? What are some of their initiatives in promoting world peace?
Therefore conclusive observations suggest that practicing hobbies is very important. For any UPSC job, the interviewers are looking for something extra from the candidates. Being one-dimensional does not help the candidates. Therefore they need to possess the necessary skills so that they can maintain a stable state of mind. Also for knowing a person outside his professional boundaries, understanding his hobbies is very important. Hobbies provide the interviewers a sneak peek into the personal life of the candidates. It also tells them how the employee is in his environment.