Indian Administrative Examination is one of the most prestigious entrance examinations in our country. It is held by the norms of the Central Government. In this Central Government sponsored entrance examination, the candidate is made to appear in tests as mandated by the rules and guidelines of the Central Government. IAS Examinations are generally held to fill up vacancies in the Central Government departments like Revenue and Administration. Moreover, the portfolios that are assigned to the aspiring candidate’s father who has secured qualification include IAS Officer, Departmental Head in the Administration Department, and Chief Revenue Officer. The IAS Examination falls under the category of UPSC examinations. Thus the rules associated with IAS Examinations are similar to that of any other UPSC examinations. The exam pattern is categorized namely- UPSC Prelims and UPSC Mains.
The UPSC Prelims is the preliminary examination where the first round of screening is conducted by holding the initial entrance examination where questions are asked through written examination and the candidates have to score a certain percentage of marks to qualify for the second round which is known as the Mains. In the second round which is the Mains, the candidate appears for the difficult tests where the question pattern is difficult and thereby the candidate has to be very judicious and methodical in his approach. After a candidate qualifies through the second round, the candidate is asked to appear for an interpersonal final face-to-face interview. Candidates before the day of appearing for the IAS examination are nervous and petrified about how they would react to a situation and how they should express their sentiments and feelings before the examination. Thus they end up panicking and this impacts their performance in the examination. Therefore following is a checklist of things to do and things not to do before the IAS examinations-
Things to Do Before IAS Examination-
There is a list of things that the candidate should be aware of before appearing in an examination. Especially the following things must be followed by the candidate on the day before the IAS examination is held-
- Keep ready all the material you would need like the admit card, ID proof, analog wristwatch, pens (black and blue), pencil, eraser, ruler, etc. This would help you save precious time on the day of the examination. If you have to hurry at the last minute you might forget any of the aforementioned items and that would land you in trouble.
- Keep aside what you will take to the center apart from these like money, etc.
- If possible, visit the center beforehand so that you know how much time is required to reach there from your place of residence. This is a very intelligent method to avoid rushing on the date of the examination.
- If you have studied properly for the past year, this one day before the exam, you need not engage in hard studies. Avoid going through the subjects rigorously before the examination day.
- If you want, you can revise your hand-written notes. Go through the notes and it would help if you try to recapitulate your syllabus.
- If you do not remember something that you have studied, do not panic. Focus on what you know and recall. If you are calm, you will recollect them during the exam. Recollection would take place if you have studied the topic previously.
- Relax and meditate.
- Listen to soothing music, chants, or whatever relaxes you. Be patient before the examination.
- If possible, don’t eat any outside food. You do not want to have an upset stomach. Homemade food on the day before the examination is always helpful.
- Eat light and healthy.
- Sleep well. It helps you to wake up all fresh and raring to go. It is natural not to get sleep one night before the D-day, but try to sleep. Do all it takes to get a good night’s rest. This is important if you want to perform to the best of your abilities. Sleep is one of the most important criteria before appearing for an examination. Therefore adequate rest is extremely necessary.
- Read motivational quotes. Inspiring dialogues can help you generate motivation in the examination hall and you will overcome difficult hurdles.
- Recheck the center and the reporting time a day before to avoid any last-minute confusion.
Things not to be done on the day before the examination-
Following is the list of things that must be avoided by the candidates on the day before the IAS examination-
- Avoid eating unhealthy food or food/drink from an unknown source. Unhealthy food is not good for your digestive system. A stomach upset will destroy your rhythm.
- Avoid asking your friends what they have or have not studied. Chit Chatting before the examination never helps.
- Do not try to remember all that you have learned in the past year.
- Do not learn anything new at this last moment.
- Avoid negative thoughts like, ‘what if I don’t clear the IAS prelims?’
- Do not stay awake for too long a night before the examination as it may make the applicant lazy and sleepy on the day of the exam
- Skip last-minute revisions and only keep your mind composed
- Do not carry unwanted and unnecessary items along with you at the exam center as nothing apart from the instructed things is allowed to be taken inside the exam center. It will only burden your load and you will not generate productivity from carrying extra things.
Therefore ardently following the aforementioned checklist of things before the examination will help you stay in a proper frame of mind and would therefore help you crack your IAS Examination Prelims.
Also read: How to make a timetable for IAS preparation?